Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Dubai-land


Dubai's Al Ras District in Deira in the 1960's

According to Huffington Post, Dubai is a hot mess. Not just because of the desert. The city that grew too fast has many underlying problems and issues. It's depressing but it seems as if nothing is being done about it.

There's a quote in the article I find rather unusual:

In Saudi, it's hard to be straight when you're young. The women are shut away so everyone has gay sex. But they only want to have sex with boys - 15 to 21 year olds. I'm 27 so I'm too old now. I need to find real gays, so this is the best place. All Arab gays want to live in Dubai.


Remember this is the same place where a gay party was raided and those arrested were subjected to inhumane treatment including hormone experiments. Gay people in Dubai have no protection and homosexuality is punishable. At least in Lebanon there's Helem, an LGBT organization trying to give rights to gays.

Original article: The Dark Side of Dubai

1 comment:

Ali Dahmash said...

I read the article about Dubai, sure Dubai is going thru rough times because of the world economic crisis but it is not that bad. I have been there many times. The writer of the article makes it sound like Hell, and most of what is not accurate. I didn't like this post